Wednesday, January 28, 2015

life without tv


ok, this is not entirely true. some time ago, my cable tv stopped working, and all I was left with was my dvd player. I thought this would be quite an experiment for me, as I used to watch hours of tv everyday. here's how it went...

conscious tv consumption. bought some tv show boxes I wanted to watch for AGES but they don't show it on cable tv (breaking bad, supernatural, dexter and gossip girl, haha). this way, I actually have to pay attention what's going on. this leeds me to...

tv was on when it makes absolutely no sense. I turn on the tv while I'm cooking and while I'm dozing off. I've seen that episode for the Xth time anyway, so I don't have to follow every scene - why the hell am I watching anyway? switched this habit and decided to put on music instead. when I'm all set at my lunch table, I'll put on an episode or continue the last movie I was watching. that's my typical lunch break. 

what I've found out: lord of the rings is too epic for lunch break. I cried throughout the 2nd movie (which I NEVER did before), wielding my imaginary sword, I was out of control. so no more lotr for lunch.

new hobbies! I started taking a walk every evening, mostly because I have problems staying asleep and needed extra exercise. it sounds pretty lame, but I actually walk quite fast and for 30-45 minutes every day, and I do feel a lot better and fitter. now I'm out and about whether rain or snow, when a few months ago I was lying on my couch watching the big bang theory for the umpteenth time.

seeing commercials & news now. I now get my share of news from the internet, mostly online-newspapers, blogs and youtube. this way, I can choose what to read/see and from whom. when I'm at a friends place now, and I see commercials or news, I'm like WTF. it is a brainwash. they show you what they want, and how they want it. there are so many people out there reporting how it really is, blogs and other outlets that help you choose sustainable products.

with streaming, netflix and tv-on-demand, I know it's nothing new not to have a proper tv, but I'm sort of still stuck in the early millennium equipment-wise. conclusion: I will not get my cable fixed - or check if it's just unplugged - I quite like my new awareness of tv culture. 

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to let you know, that I nominated you for the Liebster Award =)
    Can't wait to read your answers to my questions =)
    http://wp.me/p2DYTl-nz

    ReplyDelete