Friday, November 20, 2015

sleep deprivation


feeling very inspired about writing at the moment, so I'll keep on talking about topics I know a lot/something about. been suffering from sleep deprivation for over a year now, tried a lot of things to get some hours every night, so I thought I'd share my experience.

first off, I have no problems actuall falling asleep. the only problem is, I wake up after 3-4 hours, every night. I'm completely awake with a start and feel very stressed & uneasy. sometimes I even get restless legs.

for now, the only thing that has helped me calm down and get at least a little rest in the early hours of morning, was relaxation music. whale songs, ocean or rain, forest sounds. just something to occupy the brain while your body can relax. chances are very low I fall back to a proper sleep, but at least I doze off for a few minutes at a time or reach a sort of meditative state.

apart from that, I try to do as much as possible before going to bed:

no naps. this is the most important thing if you can't sleep properly during the night. even though it might be tempting, even though I fall asleep during almost every movie I watch - no sleep during the day. your sleep cycle is already completely effed up, so don't throw in random naps to confuse your body even more.

exercise. ok, that's not quite right, I like to call my form of sport simply "moving". I try to do some kind of activity every day, even if it's just yoga or walking a dog. get your body tired, the mind will follow!

no food. when I get home after work at 5 pm, I prepare dinner right away. nothing too ample, maybe a soup or something warm - no salad! I've set my appetite to be hungry in the morning/for lunch, not so much in the evening. my stomache is very sensitive as well (I'm such a baby) so that's something I need to keep in mind for my night's rest! this way, his work should be done way before I go to bed.

no visits. if I'm out and about in the evenings, at least during workdays, I make sure that I'm home/make everybody leave by 9ish. this gives me enough time to unwind and be at peace.

surroundings. I don't have a tv in my bedroom, it's a small but still separate room in my apartment with blinds. total darkness was always vital for my sleep, as soon as I sense daylight, I'm ready for the day - even if it's only 4 am. since it's not living space, I don't have to heat it all the time, I'm a very chilled sleeper, at around 15-20°.

electronics. I've stopped watching tv just out of bore. if I watch a show, I want to know what's going on. as soon as I feel I'm getting sleepy, I turn it off and put on some tunes - which takes me to my favourite part of the evening:

tea! I'm a passionate tea drinker. steaming up a cup is something magical to me.. to help my sleep, I've tried calming teas from the pharmacy and what not, a very popular one being valerian root. it did not work for me, but it might for you - give it a try at least. at the moment I've been experimenting with more herbal teas like melissa. no green/black tea though! for some, warm milk with honey works like a charm, but my stomache disagrees here, again.

so, in this sense.. good night, sleep tight, sweet dreams!
if you have any other tips & tricks, let me know!

2 comments:

  1. What a great post! I know what you mean...these are wonderful tips though :) I find, a cup of herbal tea always helps.

    Christina ♥ https://caliope-couture.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tea is the answer to most problems indeed :) thank you for your message, your blog is lovely!

      Delete